Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Fascination with spoken languages

How do you like spending a year learning something and few years later only being able to talk about the subject in terms of "yeah, I studied this stuff once... don't remember anything of it now"? I'm not talking about your differential geometry course, fellows :) This happens to most people, and for me such a wasted effort is the time I spent learning Finnish (Puhutaan Suomea?). I'm genuinely fascinated with languages, but the fact that I know only 2 is a big letdown. That forgotten Finnish is a good subject for a cooler talk, but now that there's an engineer on my floor that is of Finnish origin, this maybe a chance for me to revive this lost skill.

For those of you who's learning a new language and not have a collegue to converse with, I wholehartedly recommend this tool. After all, all fancy subliminal methods can only take you so far... (Yeah, THAT is not far.) As this famous proverb says, "Repetition is the mother of study." So, go there, browse around for available lessons. Maybe enter a bunch of words that you have difficulty with. Interface is clean and simple, and does not distract from what your goal is. I was a little puzzled by the lack of controls in the "matching game". The fact that you can drag and drop matching words with a mouse guesture is a nice touch. Ah... AJAX everywhere!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Gavry said...

Thank you for a thorough analysis and review of Internet Polyglot.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home